Friday, June 12, 2009

(gene here:)

So I went to my regular open mic spot in Toledo, as usual, to take a break from all the rigmarole and debauchery, when I came across two guys sitting in the foyer at their laptops.I recognized them as potential newbies and out-of-towners, and immediately introduced myself. I have always been diplomatic in that sort of way to outside artists visiting my home spot. I found out the details of their adventure and by the end of the night borrowed their guitar for my own performance and sort of invited myself to jump on their tour to which they happily (thankfully) accepted. My time in Toledo had long been up, and it was time for some sort of divine intercedence of sorts. I believe this encounter was just that.

I've been on the road two days with these two brothers, and I believe wholeheartedly that this is the path that was meant and laid out for me. A friend sent me a quote from a Anne Lamott book, where she talks about a friend who had all these things go wrong in her life, over and over, and she was trying to be a good sport, but one day on a train, she was whining to a guy next to her and (now I will quote from the book):

"it turned out that this man worked for the Dalli Lama. And he said, gently, that they believe when a lot of things start going wrong all at once, it is to protect something big and lovely that is trying to get itself born, and that this something needs for you to be distracted so that it can be born as perfectly as possible."

This sort of says it all about this moment in my life and now this tour. more on all these things and more..when I RETURN..

No comments:

Post a Comment